Forums

The Link below will direct you to the old website where you can look back at forum posts from previous years

http://aberdeensnooker.cmlwebdesign.com/index.php/test

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumALCBSA: LeagueLooking for a new team
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Looking for a new team

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

The rule of players playing twice was introduced to overcome the problem of when a player for some valid reason doesn’t turn up it meant that a player that had made the effort as usual to turn up didn’t get a game and it was looked upon that teams were getting unfair free points in a league where every point mattered.

My opinion would be to resolve is that if there are still teams turning up without a full team (which should only be in certain circumstances. All teams should be running with a squad to be able to field 6 players each week) is that the player/s that do land up playing twice will not earn points for their team on their second match. They will only be playing to stop their opponents winning points for their team. That way it will still make the frames competitive and every player has to earn their points.

For team cup players shouldn’t be able to play twice as teams still can win with 4/5 players but obviously by playing without a full team is only disadvantaging themselves.

Please take this as an early proposal for the next AGM.

Morning Paul, Derek & Steve

Clearly this post is aimed at us (Nigg 2) due to our lack of players this season even though we 10 players registered now. You state that we are taking "advantage" or let's make this clearer "cheating" because let's be honest here your all saying it but wording it differently.

The ruling had changed around the team cup about playing twice when culter played 22 club and had that not not of changed we would of withdrawn for the team cup. So yes we have benefited there but we never went out of our way to ask for the change. Also Lenny contacted John McCann to see if we could reschedule our semifinal of the team cup as we only had 3 players and was told no. (Maybe because we would've been weaker or easier to beat but who knows) 😜😂. Anyway we had to ask to reregister an old player to make up the numbers and take us to 10 players. Luckily enough on this occasion panda also came along and played.

As for the league we turned up and played culter with 3 players due to players being offshore, holiday and other commitments. Again if we were told we couldn't play twice or was in fact breaching any rules we would of happily of conceded the match or any other match in that fact. Surely by now everyone in the league should realise we turn up and play and win, lose or draw it's just about having fun and have a good laugh.

Now when you go through the team we have Davie, James, Craig and now Dex who work away from home and unfortunately Davie, James and Craig's times now clash. Sandy/Craig lost their wife/mum at the start of the season so haven't played and factor in to this sandy fractured his hip. He has started to play pool and will help out when he can like he did at the semi final but has said he'll come back and play as he misses the crack.

Davie has hurt his back so couldn't play for 2 weeks he was home and Stuart also was ill for for a week too.

Harry has had bowls some weeks and couldn't make it either.

Aso to keep everyone happy we have asked if we can reschedule our league game with Dee swim to due to the lack of players.

So instead of questioning our integrity and morals around this situation just ask instead of putting it up here as it's alot easier to explain over the phone.

As for this going to the AGM we as a team would welcome it as it would be clear up any issues going forward and been with a vote hopefully Oldmacher turn up this time.

Also who actually voted for the handicap change to 40 and who has benefitted the most. Certainly not players who have a handicap of +30 or more.

This season has been a farce with teams thinking of quitting because of handicaps, to many competitions running at once, 2 day final and free weeks because of holidays.

So bring on the AGM as I for one look forward to it as posts like this really boils my piss and if folk aren't happy I don't care as no rules have been broken and we certainly have not taken advantage.  I will easy put my name forward if it drives change and helps this game in Aberdeen.

Any problems feel free to call me.

Gav.

That’s a fair rant that Gav 🤣🤣

Not spoken to the boys about this specifically but it stems from teams being regularly short of bodies and there are at least 3 or 4 new boys actively looking to play snooker in Aberdeen who are not getting a game.

I don’t think any comments are targeted at Nigg specifically as it happens to loads of teams and as you say no rules have been broken.

Alec

You beat me to the reply Gav.

Mine would have been in the same vein but with a lot of swearing!

Oh for the days when we could turn up for a game of snooker without all this bullshit. Where did they go?

Just to reiterate a point:- We would never, EVER deliberately turn up short of players. We'd rather withdraw from the league than benefit from cheating!

Here's a proposal which you can backdate from the start of this season...

All the frames where we have had players play twice, remove the frames which we won and give them to the opponents and adjust the handicaps accordingly. Do this for EVERY team who has been in this situation as well (so we're not the only ones being picked on).

I've cut and pated this bit from Raymond's post above, which I for one wholeheartedly agree with :- "My opinion would be to resolve is that if there are still teams turning up without a full team (which should only be in certain circumstances. All teams should be running with a squad to be able to field 6 players each week) is that the player/s that do land up playing twice will not earn points for their team on their second match. They will only be playing to stop their opponents winning points for their team. That way it will still make the frames competitive and every player has to earn their points.."

If anyone from Oldmachar can be arsed to turn up at the AGM this year and propose it, I will happily second it.

Lenny

Just as a wee reminder everyone should look at point 3 in the rules found in the constitution and rules bar found on the main page.
This is obviously the correct rule as it hasn’t been brought up, discussed or voted on as far as I know and certainly hasn’t been changed by the committee to make aware of any changes.

Hi All

This is crying out for a mid season AGM with notice given that all team captains must attend, it was put forward at the last AGM about another meeting to discuss whether the new handicap system is or is not working but it looks as though that has not been listened to either. as for teams having so much registered players this should be looked at realistically as to which of those are actually ever going to play and just not a team history sheet.

Cmon Committee it is time to nip all this sniping about various aspects of how we run our game in the bud and thrash it out face to face. chat rooms just make things worse as no-one has all the facts and it ends up a free for all. give the captains notice of what is on the agenda let them talk to the players and then have the mid year AGM and get back to playing.

Derry

Gav,

thanks for the reply. For the record I have not suggested anyone is taking advantage or cheating. I agree we need a Captains meeting or mid AGM and will look to arrange asap. This forum was to try and find teams to take on people actively looking to join a team and so far all I’ve seen is a discussion on why teams are short of players. So again are there any takers for the guys looking to join a team???

Quote from Murr on January 19, 2023, 12:35 pm

Just as a wee reminder everyone should look at point 3 in the rules found in the constitution and rules bar found on the main page.
This is obviously the correct rule as it hasn’t been brought up, discussed or voted on as far as I know and certainly hasn’t been changed by the committee to make aware of any changes.

Things changed because of covid Murr without changing the rules officially as they were temporary. Agree we need to return to normal now though but probably for next season

Just a add to your point Gavin Lenny did contact me to change the date which I said I was fine about.Captain from Culter 1 asked the players and some of them couldn't make the following week so had to go ahead on the 5th. So not correct to say I said no cause I didn't. Just to clear that up.

John.

I've texted Ian about the student lad looking to join a team. That may be 1 taken care of.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next