Forums

The Link below will direct you to the old website where you can look back at forum posts from previous years

http://aberdeensnooker.cmlwebdesign.com/index.php/test

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumALCBSA: LeagueAGM Proposals
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

AGM Proposals

PreviousPage 2 of 2

I would like to see the points rewarded  for comps changed.This will help players that get a wee run in the comps rewarded more and will help make them eligible for counties placing if that is there goal.The COMPS should reward the most points in the season. Not a Tue as it is the now. Maybe 100 points winner per comp, 70 runner up,  50 semi,30 quarters. This will hopefully encourage players to enter comps rather than concentrating on Tue night results for ranking position.

Too many comps also with same results. Maybe change one senior event?

Still think 2nd half season off scratch is another option.  that would help change things also.

Hi.

I would like to put the following forward as a proposal for consideration at the upcoming AGM.

I would like to see that all comps being played as an open draw format in all rounds with no seeded players and obviously no ranking points being awarded.
Reason for this change is with competition entries at the numbers we are receiving now for one reason or another it simply doesn’t justify having 16 seeds in a comp. For every player that enters with a little luck in the draw and if they play well then everyone has the same chance of progression in the comp.

For some that will be a drastic change but with the amount of guys that I have talked with over the years I feel the time has come for this to happen. Apart from the Scottish Amateurs (Scottish Snooker) I know of no other local league that work a ranking system but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t. With the feed back I received while on the committee I feel there might be the possibility for entry numbers to improve if this is put into place.

We now have in the League for a number of years now a handicap system that shows us and is a great guide of who are performing well season after season.
The idea of the Scottish County Championships is a competition that was set up to get players playing and competing but more importantly supporting their local league so with that I’d propose that the county team is selected more towards League form other than competition form.
We all play in the league so team selection could be based on league form with low handicaps coming into play other than competition ranking points where only a small number enter or in some situations some players can’t enter for various reasons and lose out on valuable points for qualification.

With our league noticeably having two players that stand out as our two best players due to their handicap in the league then followed up with an amount of players from -22 to scratch and plus players I’d say that a fair few players if they perform over the season could quite easily play themselves into contention. It will also make the players that possibly don’t try too hard on a Tuesday night to improve their handicap cause they have their competition points to fall back on try that little harder for their team.  😉🤣  Any player that drops their handicap enough and also have good runs in comps with quarter, semies or a final to back up their handicap with must be putting themselves in contention for the counties selection.

This is how I see things as an option for the possibility of competition entries to improve and make the league standard to hopefully improve with players trying a little harder to drop their handicap but it’s only my opinion and not saying it’s right.

Please be kind with the replies if there are any 🫣

Raymond.

I propose that if there is still rankings next season that the ranking points are based purely on comp points only and not integrated with the league handicap,I think for many players a Tuesday night is for a catch up with pals,few drinks and a game of snooker,Tuesdays are more a team game with a bit of banter and a laugh,the comps r more based on a personal achievement  1v1,u could have a scenario where a player qualifies for the last 16 of every comp or better but doesn’t qualify for the counties cos someone has a better handicap than him in the league…….wrong in my opinion as the league isn’t played off a level playing field,only my thoughts.

I don't think some of the proposals mentioned above can really work as they seem dependant on all players being there for the duration of the night and that is not possible for a lot of players. I still believe that allowing the away team to pick the order after seeing the home order can allow captains to match players as far as possible to get the most competitive frames. Obviously it could still be abused but relies on a bit of honesty from all which is not asking much.

Playing half a season or 1 frame out of 2 or whatever off scratch is just going to make the majority of frames uncompetitive and basically a waste of peoples time turning out. I don't really see why a good player would want to play someone hugely inferior off scratch but maybe I am missing something?  I think the only way would be 2 separate leagues one for teams wanting to play off scratch and one for handicap.

Ian

I get what your saying Ian,but  there’s arguments on both sides here that’s why we need a middle ground,how is it fair for a good player to turn up and lose a frame by his opponent potting 5 or 6 balls and vice versa can the inferior player go home after receiving say a 70 start and pot 5 or 6 balls and be delighted with his performance,hardly enjoyable,if the handicap cap was reduced this might stop that happening.

Just a suggestion... handicaps to keep going down after a win but not moved up until after 2 or 3 consecutive losses

Just as a thought but a serious question.

Has any player won a frame of snooker without potting a ball cause their opponent hasn’t been able to pull back the points difference?
Maybe cause the colours have gone into bad positions it could happen.

Another thing to think about is we now have a handicap league where obviously players are giving starts and some big starts some weeks and still losing to good or top players.
Are these players put off now from entering the competitions and have to play the same players they possibly got beat by their opponents the week before but now have to play off scratch in the competition?
Much to think about in my opinion.
That’s what I personally think is wrong now with how we are running snooker.

I would like the league to be off scratch ideally but would be happy at a 32 cap for everyone. Giving 50,60,70 just makes you play differently and it has become an uninjoyable grind fest. If you can't win with a 32 start then unlucky but don't punish those who practice to improve. If you draw Marc or John on the night then unlucky but see it as a challenge rather than being defeatest, hopefully your other team mates can win.

Is the Agenda coming onto the website before the meeting ?

PreviousPage 2 of 2