Forums

The Link below will direct you to the old website where you can look back at forum posts from previous years

http://aberdeensnooker.cmlwebdesign.com/index.php/test

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Aberdeen Singles 2022

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next

Marc Davis 3 Davie Goodfellow 0

Marc 103

Scores tonight;

Marc Davis 3-0 John Robertson

Marc 90 (or 92?)

Rene Tatichek 3-1 Dave Thomson

Reminder to all that final tonight is at 7:30 between our top two players Marc Davis and John McCann. Food will be kindly supplied by Culter Mills Club.

Would be great to see a good turnout.

Derek

Final result:

Marc Davis 5-3 John McCann

Very tactical affair from the start to finish with first 4 frames shared. After the break. John took. 3-2 lead then Marc won next three very close frames.

Turnout was very disappointing and even more so since Culter were providing catering. Very much food for thought for next season. Personally I feel we have reached the end of playing last 16 at a venue and maybe go for Semi and final only, but needs serious consideration. Thanks to Euan Laing for refereeing the final which was a very professional job.

Also thanks to Culter club for hosting the last 16 onwards. Thanks also to those who took refereed (Stuart Leece, Kenny Cook, George Thomson and Sandy Masson).

Derek

Congrats to Marc and hard luck John .Think the game deserved to go to a final frame as John had a lovely 50 break under pressure in the final frame.Marc cleared the colours to take the match on the pink.

Sad for Aberdeen snooker has got to a place that nobody makes a effort to go show support and  appreciation for what is getting put on for them.Its a slap face to committee and Culter. Even players had a great run in the comp with the exception Mark were not there.

Sad times

P.s, Ewen u did a great job 👏

Monsoon111 has reacted to this post.
Monsoon111

Congratulations to Marc Davis on yet another victory but it’s a shame it was in front of such a small crowd. You say nobody makes the effort to attend Paul but how can you expect anyone to support a comp that was so badly run and I’ve spoken to many players that said they were not going to attend for that reason. This comp was supposed to be an open draw from round 1 and for some reason John McCann decided to go against what was agreed at a previous AGM and give 8 seeds a bye into round 2 when he had no authority to do such a thing. Even more concerning was the fact that  Derek backed this decision to give 8 seeds a bye and he is still the only person I’ve heard that thinks that was the fair thing to do. The draw for this comp has always been done after each round with players present with the draw being an event in itself but even that didn’t happen this time. There is definately room for an open draw comp going forward and I’ve not heard anyone say otherwise. The rules required to run an open draw comp really aren’t difficult to understand and we can’t get that right we really are in trouble!

Congratulation Marc.

Regarding the lack of spectators at the venue…

When do you see big crowds at the venue? When a rank outsider qualifies!
His teammates, friends and sometimes his family members attend.
When seeds play each other? Who cares!! Their mates, team mates etc are nowhere to be seen.

Do you not think giving 8 seeds a bye straight to the venue had a knock on effect on spectator numbers?

on another note, there are a grand total of 32 entries for the North, probably an all time low.
Of those 32 entries, there are 16 seeds.
how can that number of seeds be justified in such a small turnout?

Stuart,

For the record I agree that 8 top seeds should not have been given a bye, however as mentioned previously Johns reasoning was to try and get more non seeds to the venue as the top 8 if not drawn against each other would most likely have knocked out 8 non seeds. As chairman I supported John based on this rather than undermine him. Going forward as mentioned this will not be repeated. I don’t know how many times I need to say this was done for the right reasons. Please move on. In addition there has been a lack of entries for all comps from the outset, I hope this was due to covid and not the end of Aberdeen competitions. The comps are for enjoying competing after all. Also random draw was done after each round…. Only no spectators!!!! We use an app which selections are random!!!

Lenny,

Thanks for your point. I agree 32 is disappointing and wish I could encourage more. Your point re 16 seeds is noted. Maybe a point for next AGM, however are you suggesting an open draw for all comps or less seeds?

Derek

Thanks for replying Derek.
Open draw for every comp? No.
I think the number of seed should be directly proportional to the number of entries.
16 seeds in a fuel of 32 entries? Surely 8 seeds in this instance is more than enough?
You want to encourage new faces at the venue, yet virtually close the shop by seeding half the entries.
what happens if next season entries drop to under 30, do you persist with over half the field seeded?

Well done Marc Davis on another Aberdeen Singles title 👏👏👏 Unlucky John McCann I agree with Paul it should have gone to a decider but Davis fought back well and potted up to the pink to win 5-3 and stop the dredded decider 😁 A huge well done to Euan Laing on reffing the final 👏👏👏 I was hoping in the Semi-finals that I drew Rene and Marc v John but it didn't turn out that way 😥😥😥 the fact of the matter that it was a shambles from start to finish firstly the open draw it was quite clearly not an open draw or fair that the top 8 seeds got byes and to forget to cancel the league matches whilst the tournament is running you ain't gonna get much sympathy from the members and the players i.e Stuart, Lenny, etc for there comments but to have 16 seeds in the North when there is 32 in the Comp is ludicrous and those days are numbered 👍🙈👍 what's done is done but I live in hope that there will be improvements in the future 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Mark.O

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next