Forums

The Link below will direct you to the old website where you can look back at forum posts from previous years

http://aberdeensnooker.cmlwebdesign.com/index.php/test

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumALCBSA: League2023/24 League Winners
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

2023/24 League Winners

Page 1 of 2Next

As there is currently nothing in the rules to decide the league winners when teams are tied there will be a playoff between Culter 2 and 22 Club. This will be at a neutral venue and date to be confirmed shortly.

And why is there nothing in the rules should be the question….constitution needs updating.

Should of been down to head to head,then on frames in my opinion

I agree Stevie that the Constitution and Rules do need updating and this was discussed at a previous committee meeting. It is on the to do list.

The previous committee and ourselves failed to have anything officially decided to cover this tied frames scenario entered in the rules. Basically just an oversight.

In the absence of anything in the rules to decide the winners we have collectively  decided that the only fair resolution of the matter is as per my previous post.

Going forward If you consider head to head tie breaker being the best option then you are welcome to propose that for the next AGM.

Thanks Ian,

With the league being as close as it has for weeks u would of thought someone must of thought wait a min what happens if it’s all square after the final  game,rather than no one knowing  and Culter and 22 wondering  have we won,what happens now,what we going to do.I suppose since nothing set in stone,then a play off is the fairest way.Lesson learnt for next year.

Quote from Thommo6 on April 2, 2024, 10:38 pm

As there is currently nothing in the rules to decide the league winners when teams are tied there will be a playoff between Culter 2 and 22 Club. This will be at a neutral venue and date to be confirmed shortly.

Hi Ian,

I agree with Stevie it should be firstly come down to frames and the Head to Head and possibly wins and draws for and against if still level, but you're 100% right Ian as there is no ruling in place (Shock) !!! This isnt the first competition to have flaws in it 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ So I propose that both teams play a blue ball Shootout first to 10 and stream it live for a bit of pressured entertainment 👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣

We were under the illusion Culter needed 6, so a 7-5 loss meant we were champions.... We are tied on points and frames. It should then be head to head however as it's not in the rules, it's only fair to have a playoff. Well there's a gap, Tuesday 09/04 so surely we need to play it then before all the singles events the following weeks. Well done Culter for hanging on with their handicaps growing (hard isn't it lol), and to the 22 lads who were bottom of the league at Xmas!! Right, will need to find Kevin Jamieson now as he was ringing at 1.30am singing we are the champions!!!! He will still be out......🤣🤣

Quote from Stevie on April 3, 2024, 6:44 am

Thanks Ian,

With the league being as close as it has for weeks u would of thought someone must of thought wait a min what happens if it’s all square after the final  game,rather than no one knowing  and Culter and 22 wondering  have we won,what happens now,what we going to do.I suppose since nothing set in stone,then a play off is the fairest way.Lesson learnt for next year.

Hi Stevie

It was only really discussed in chat about a couple of weeks ago. It would not have been appropriate at that point to decide how things would be resolved in the event of a tie as the league race kind of involved more than one committee members teams. Then you get people saying the ruling is corrupt or unfair.

DVS147 has reacted to this post.
DVS147

Yup, your right Ian. Can't go changing rules midway through. There is no rules set in stone for this scenario so, fairness in sport says make it a playoff. Should be good fun. Maybe Nigg Bay could host us since they got onboard with comps this year? Derry doing a great job with the conditions up there.👍👍

The league is based on frames won, not wins, draws or losses for the team. So talk of head to heads etc. to decide the league winner in my mind is not the way to go, particularly as not all teams have two tables.

If your level, as we are in this bizarre instance, the fairest (and most exciting) thing to do is have a playoff at a neutral venue.

I believe there has been a precedent set in the league. In one particular year there was a tie at the bottom of the top league. A playoff was held to decide who was relegated.

Quote from Stevie on April 2, 2024, 10:54 pm

And why is there nothing in the rules should be the question….constitution needs updating.

Should of been down to head to head,then on frames in my opinion

Difficult for me as obviously play for Culter. However this scenario was not covered in the rules. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but posting how you think it should be decided does not help. As Rene points out a play off has been used previously to determine relegation and not on head to head. To be neutral I let the committee discuss and decide. I think this is fairest outcome and hopefully should be fun.

Page 1 of 2Next