Forums

The Link below will direct you to the old website where you can look back at forum posts from previous years

http://aberdeensnooker.cmlwebdesign.com/index.php/test

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumALCBSA: LeagueRule update
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Rule update

Hi Guys.

Can I just bring everyones attention to rule 3 that can be found in the Constitution & Rules in the main menu.

Just a reminder to all teams as noticed the rule that was proposed and passed hadn't been updated but now is.

Thanks Raymond.

Hi Guys sorry but it’s me again.

I’ve been thinking about this rule today where when a team can’t field 6 players on a league night they can play a player twice. Even though it’s a good rule to save opposition teams getting free points in a league where every point counts I think there’s a flaw in it.
It was thought that being able to do this only 6 times it would be more than enough to cover teams being short over the season.
Im not saying that there are teams deliberately turning up short but with it only being 6 weeks into the league season and already a large amount of players already played twice I’m wondering what the outcome is if a team uses up their 6 times allocation.
The only option I can think of what will happen and know happened last season is that the games won’t be played and the team with all their players will get free points and a player won’t get a game. Not a great outcome in my opinion when the rule was supposed to stop this happening in the first place.
What I have came up with is once this happens (which I hope won’t) the team can still play a player twice again but as a consequence won’t receive any points for frames won while playing their player again.
Doing this will stop teams being awarded free points and still give competitive opposition to the player that was going to miss out on getting a match. It will be fair for all teams that can raise teams each week.
 If the attitude is taken of “well it’s our own fault as we can’t field a full team again means we won’t win points for these frames but we will be trying our hardest to make sure they don’t win the points either” can only be a good thing.
The most important thing is to come up with a rule where all frames are played and won instead of being awarded to make the league competitive and fair.
Only team that will miss out will be the team that can’t raise one.
After a player has played twice their name is highlighted in red on the handicap list. Once they play twice in a match again they can be highlighted in blue.
Hopefully this is understood by all.
Now I know that all changes to the rules should be proposed and voted on at an AGM or an EGM but I want to run this past you all and see what you all think.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I can’t see any reason where this can’t be discussed and voted on online instead of calling an EGM and having all the captains travelling to vote on it.
So what you all think?
Raymond.

Raymond

Mabey i have got this wrong ,please correct me if i have.

If our team turns up with 6 players and our opponents only have 5 then i feel we are at a disadvantage to start off with ,as they have the choice of playing whoever they want to as there last man.

So Instead of us playing "joe bloggs" you could now be playing players like Davis , oaten , mcnolty , mc cann etc etc.  depending on which club you are at.    .     so now you want to let them play twice ,as in your words "trying there hardest to make sure they dont get the points either" .  To me i dont feel this is an advantage to the team thats got 6 players.

This is just my thoughts , right or wrong .

Graham

Graham

I understand your concerns but these guys that you mentioned could already have to play twice with the rule that has already been proposed and passed and been used in the past couple of seasons.

Also remember it’s handicapped so shouldn’t matter who plays twice.

All that I’m trying to do is come up with a rule that should encourage teams to make sure they have enough players to fulfil their fixtures with 6 players each week or if they haven’t it’s only a disadvantage to themselves.

The “trying their hardest” comment could of been explained better. I would like to think that every time someone picks up a cue they are trying their hardest to win. What we don’t want is the attitude of well if we aren’t getting the points if I win I won’t try to win. It was only meant to come across as no matter what it’s still frames that are worth winning.

Hope this helps.

Raymond.

Hi

I’m not getting the point of the updated rule, if you are not getting any frames for playing the game then what’s the point?

We have 5 players that are fixed most weeks and with work and holidays we have already had 3 players played twice and it’s only week 6

You cant please all of the people all of the time !!! Just some of the people some of the time !!! Very true quote !!! I get the Rule is flawed the thing I just dont understand is how teams can only field 4 or 5 players every week ??? I certainly dont know the answer but this should be addressed asap otherwise its gonna cause problems in the long run 👎👎👎

The point is that we already have 6 times a season where if you are short of players on a Tuesday night you can play someone twice and it doesn't effect the fairness of the League. Everyone gets a game and no team gets free points with being awarded the points because a team can't play their 6th player.

We all know that things can effect a team for not having 6 players on a night so as I already have said it was thought that 6 times would more than cover any team for being short unexpectedly on a match night. If you are going to be short more than that then I think the problem is that you don't have enough players in the first place to be able to fulfil your fixtures in a season.

The problem is when a team uses up their 6 time allocation without penalties to that team what happens. Its simply well we can't play all the frames in the match as we have used up our allocation so you will have to just take the points. Is that fair for some teams to get free points in a season where others don't ??? Because the league is so tight and any team has the chance of winning it we don't want to have the outcome of a team actually winning it after being awarded free points a few times a season.

What I'm suggesting is that after a team plays players twice 6 times it is their own fault and surly its better to still have all the frames played on a match night so all points are earned. It would only effect the teams that can't field 6 players each week after that as they won't get the points if they win the frames where someone plays twice for a second time but the other team will still have to play someone to earn the points the same as every other team.

This rule will make sure that every point is still being played for.

I also think its not fair for some teams to be getting free points and others don't just because their opponent can't field a team.

Its simple if you can't field a full team each week it will only effect you.

Hope this explains more what I'm thinking.

Raymond

Why don't you just reset the rule at the Xmas break? If you have 5 player more than 6 times in the first half of the season well tuff. It should make your team try harder to claw them back. It's not an impossible task considering the league is already handicapped?

In the past if you had 5 player's you lost 2 frames and that was it. Can't keep everyone happy 😊

It’s 6 man teams Gavin so the rule will hopefully encourage teams to field 6 men.

Gmcrobb has reacted to this post.
Gmcrobb