Forums

The Link below will direct you to the old website where you can look back at forum posts from previous years

http://aberdeensnooker.cmlwebdesign.com/index.php/test

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Interclubs Singles 2021

First round to be played by Monday 8th November

Home player first best of 5 frames

R Grant ( cult 2 ) v bye

S Patterson ( port 2 ) v D Walker ( old 2 )

G Mcrobb ( dee 2 ) v G Whyte (cult 1 )

S Leece ( cult 1) v bye

D Simpson ( dee 2 ) v bye

J Farmer ( dee 2 ) v Ewen Laing ( cult 1)

S Masson (cult 1 ) v M Logie ( hope )

S  Clark ( cult 1 ) v bye

Qualifiers will be randomly drawn for next round

Second round Last 16 to be played at neutral venues on the 21st of November

J McCann (cult1) v

S Garden ( dee 2 ) v

D Thomson ( dee 2 ) v

A Johnston (cult 2 )

P Hardy (old 1 ) v

L Mutch (dee 2 ) v

D Goodfellow jnr ( sports 1 ) v

D Morrison ( cult 2 ) v

Thanks for entering and good luck

As we have had no response on interclub entry thread, I will try this one.

John McCann has mentioned he is happy to accept constructive criticism, so here goes...

There is a shockingly low entry for this comp and is no surprise. Numerous people asking about dates, times, possible clashes etc and to date, there has been no response from tourney organisers. I for one couldn't enter as I believe play will be over 4 x Sundays. The last thing I would want to do is enter, then withdraw due to unavailability. Surely, you set out your stall for each comp so competitors know EXACTLY what they are entering.

On another point, Derek Hearns Memorial comp -  no consultation was made with remaining players, only a post saying you must play within a certain date which again, I could not make - I see others couldn't either.

In my opinion, we are in a pandemic where communication and a little common sense is paramount for Aberdeen Snooker to thrive.

Maybe a bit early for a vote of no confidence but this cannot continue.

This isn't a moan but you can imagine the frustration when you are trying to enter comps but can't due to lack of information. Or am I way off the mark here??

Cheers

Paddy

In reply to the last post. I did put on an event calendar and asked for those interested to put their names on so I could get a feel of how many players would like to enter. The Sunday format was to try something new out which was spoken about at the AGM. I’ve heard some player's thought the other system was a bit stale. You must understand that not all new ideas will work. On the 12th of August I asked for feedback about getting the Derek Hearns comp resumed but again no feedback from anyone including you Paddy. I felt it’s important to resume the competition in honour of one of the best player Aberdeen has ever had Derek Hearns. We also got a bit of sponsorship from Panda Rosa, which I may add I got. On the 25th of August I decided to resume this comp and you personally had till the 4th October the best part of 6 weeks to play surely enough time arrange your schedule Patrick. Your concerns are noted and we the committee will continue to try and do our best for Aberdeen Snooker.

You have missed the point here. Not only that, you've had more than me asking the question over a period of time regarding interclubs specifically.

I have no issue with change - that's entirely up to committee but you must put out all info on comps - times, dates, venues etc. 4 x Sundays, great, but what time? Despite asking for clarification, (and I wasn't the only one) you offered no reply hence why I couldn't enter. Looks like you have missed out on 50% of entries based on previous entry numbers.

On a personal note, I use this site but don't receive alerts or I may have known about Derek Hearns comp. It may have been better to contact each player left in the comp rather than presuming we would all read something on website that's been inactive for a year or so. Just a suggestion.

Oh, and please don't presume I am in a position to arrange my schedule around Aberdeen Snooker, I have work to go to hence why I was asking the questions on timings of comps.

Here's looking forward to the next comp, somewhere, some date, sometime.

Cheers

Paddy

To all those voicing concerns regarding competition dates. Please remember we are just returning to some normality following a pandemic. John has posted the dates which concentrated on Sundays in an attempt to freshen things which I’m sure appeals to many but clearly not all. We as a committee plan to get together and discuss the feedback received and consider the best way forward. Please bear in mind we have a forum for communicating with all players and we cannot as volunteers be expected to contact players individually. Part of the issues expressed can be attributed to returning from a pandemic. We are here to try and promote and develop snooker in Aberdeen and therefore do listen to constructive criticism. If, and this is by no means a guarantee, some changes are implemented then no doubt a selection of others, who in fact like the fresh plans will post their dissatisfaction. As always trying to please everyone is impossible. Part of the reason for the reduced numbers entering will be due to us all slowly returning to playing regularly. Talk of no confidence and finger pointing does not serve Aberdeen Snooker and may result in having no committee (unless those considering such action take up the positions). I am new to the committee as chairman and will listen to the majority and try my best (as did Raymond) to respond to genuine concerns. Posts which are personal attacks on committee members will not be deemed worthy of consideration for any future improvements. Let’s try and work together and appreciate the efforts of those responsible for organising the comps, the league and the finances so we all can enjoy our sport.

Derek Morrison

Derek, what on earth? Again, point missed. The dissatisfaction is nothing to do with "freshening things up". Unless, by freshening things up includes players  told a date, no venue and no set times to play.

20 entries for one of Aberdeens top tournaments is a farce. And it is down to zero communication from committee when a genuine question was asked.

As mentioned, I do not have an issue with attempts to freshen things up but you must put on dates, times and venues for comps. 20 entries confirms something is way out. And you can't blame a pandemic when you had players asking questions.

When a genuine question is asked, surely it's a heads up to the committee that they need to do something - rather than no response.

I have been on the committee so I'm fully aware of effort required but your point that you are trying to promote and develop snooker falls on it face in this instance due to lack of info required which wasn't rectified.

Im disappointed if my posts aren't seen as constructive criticism.

Cheers

Paddy

I have just seen the draw for this years Interclubs and find it hard to believe the competition is going ahead with only 20 players. I couldn’t work out why there was such a low number of entries until I realised that the competition is to be run over 4 consecutive sundays which many players clearly can’t commit to. I have entered but was unaware of the new plan when entering and I certainly can’t give up 4 consecutive sundays so will have to withdraw. It’s good to see something different being tried but when the committee saw there were only 20 entries the Sunday idea should have been scrapped immediately and the old system used. Going ahead with this competition without 10 of the top 16 including the best player in town is ridiculous and makes it a complete and utter farce. It’s not too late to revert to the usual system and get the numbers up to least 32 entries because as this competition stands it is an embarrassment to Aberdeen Snooker and not worth winning

Hi Stuart,

The Sunday thing may catch others out also. It’s a pity as I had you down as one of the favourites to lift this title.

Alec

I say again the committee are meeting to discuss the points raised…..some good points and these will be considered……..I have not referred to any post which may or may not be seen as constructive criticism. No points have been missed. I do not remember times being issued for final stages when comps posted for entries in the past.  20 entries is disappointing for sure and will form part of discussion when committee meet up.  Give us time to discuss and revert.

All,

Based on feedback received regarding Inter clubs competition the committee are reviewing whether changes are necessary to the format, venues, Sunday play etc.

As a result no games should be played until a final decision is posted.

Whilst the lack of entries is a major concern this may or not be only due to the Sunday format.

Freshening the format was for the right reasons and was agreed by the club Captains at the AGM although I was not Chairman at that point and was not present.

Thanks for your patience…

Derek Morrison