Forums

The Link below will direct you to the old website where you can look back at forum posts from previous years

http://aberdeensnooker.cmlwebdesign.com/index.php/test

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumNon-Snooker: GeneralComps
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Comps

Hi there

As discussed at the meeting last Tue

We welcome any suggestions on ways to improve our comps

Would u like last 8,16 or 32 at the venue ?

Would u like seeds coming  in last 16 all playing away from home to the qualifiers like in the past ?

Do u prefer seeds  coming in from the start as it is now ?

Do u like handicaps being part rankings or should rankings be results comps only?

Would u like a comp where top 16 can't enter?

Does anybody want a summer comp ?

Just looking for some input

Thanks in advance

Paul

Thought I'd throw my opinions in. Well done on taking on the comps(your mad😁) Also thanks to everyone for there messages regarding the North...much appreciated and again commiserations to Paul who fought hard. OK my thoughts.....

- With the numbers we currently get in comps down, I think last 8 would be right, so around 2 matches or so to reach the finals stage i.e. Quarter finals and onwards with perhaps matches on on a Sunday, 10am start then Final like currently, on the Tuesday. With more players it's hard to accommodate and get all games refereed I'd think. The final stages need to be refereed I'd say.

- Seeds coming in at the last 16.... I don't mind if they do or they don't. Yes players will avoid top players until L16 BUT the likely hood of seeing shocks/different winners would be less likely but I'm open to both.

- The handicaps contributing to Rankings was not a bad idea. The reason being, players have something to play for EVERY week and also encourages players to play the league and not just enter the comps because let's face it, we need 'our' players!! But it's no big deal, but the idea from Steve Biggs was good.

- A no top 16 comp.....???? Well I think top players need to be beaten to achieve. When I first played I had Hearns, Mccann, Hardy, Taticek, Oaten, Mcnolty, Pirie, to name a few all miles better than me and many a comp was I defeated at the venue so I had to improve. I don't see why titles should be almost 'handed' out. All our past winners, Peter Farnan (NOS) for example, have won on merit because that week he was the best player and I think that's the way it should be. I do however think, as we - dare I say it have some 'older gentlemen' in our league that a 60+ Masters event would be nice, and nice for them. It would be great to see that happen and actually very interesting as to who would prevail!! (passport ID required) 😂😂😂😂🤔

- Summer comp. We have a lot of tournaments as it is, 4 plus doubles..... Thought most play golf in the summer haha. Not sure if there's room for this but up to you!!

And now finally, one thing I'd like to propose for the scheduled EGM. I personally play our comps for the prestige of the events. Obviously there is prize money for events which is nice but not essential. I certainly would still enter if there wasn't prize funds.... Not sure if others object to that? I think the NOS should be free to enter, as an open event. If a player is unnatached he plays away and if unnatached vs unnatached then the left drawn player decides the venue of his/her choice. General reason people don't enter I feel is the 4 usaul suspects are normally picking up the trophys... but if it's free everyone can have a shot and also youngsters/new potential players can have a go and they may join our leagues. I personally certainly don't play for the money, the prestige does it for me.... the great champions before you etc. So the NOS with no cash involved may revolutionise the event I feel. At the end of the day, its about playing snooker and competing. On that note, I hope next year onwards it will be 'The Derek Hearns North of Scotland' because that's what it was about to him playing snooker, competing, battling, winning. The guy was the BEST!!!

Marc Davis

Hi guys, for those of you who are not already aware, Paul and I have taken on the challenge of running the comps as part of the committee. We have a few new ideas about how we think we could move the comps forward for everyone’s benefit if possible. I hope you all can bare with us as we are new to this. We can’t guarantee that everything will be perfect but we can guarantee that we will do our best to run things as smoothly as possible. Thanks for your support. John McCann

Murr has reacted to this post.
Murr

Hi all, I know I’ve been out of the game for a couple of years but I’m only adding my opinion here because someone contacted me and asked me to have a look at the posts and do so.

I think this is a refreshing change, having 2 of the top established players in the North East running the associations comps, fresh ideas from guys at the top of the game, with years of experience behind them, can’t be a bad thing, but they need the grassroots support too!

I like how Paul has offered up some suggestions, but at this time of year I wouldn’t expect too many replies, I think the players don’t come on the web site so much than they do during the actual snooker season.  I would look at some way to gather opinions from all the players, maybe via the captains?  A list of suggestions they can pass on and get feedback to?  Or use social media which most people now subscribe to?

Regarding Pauls points and Marc’s responses…..

I’d personally retain more people at venue, at least 16, getting there is a huge buzz to either established players and new players in the area, semi-formal dress i.e. waistcoat and no tie etc.

I actually think there should be a comp without the top players, just not a ranking event. When there were multiple leagues there used to be the B, C & D league trophy (or something like that?) which was always well received….Why don’t you have a ‘plate’ event out of the North of Scotland, everyone not qualifying for the venue (last 16) get’s entered into the North of Scotland “Plate” for the following season because I know it’s logistically difficult to fit in a comp after/during the NoS.  And it wouldn’t be a title ‘handed out’ as like any ‘plate’ comp it’s clearly less prestigious as the main event but still has importance to the players involved, that’s why they have ‘plate’ comp’s in golf etc. for duffers like me 😊

NoS free to enter, why just the NoS?  Yes, reduce the prize fund, it’s not why people play in the top ranking comps, but retain entry fee’s as the association still needs to raise funds/sponsorship to survive, redirect extra monies to junior comps instead to draw in more youth to the game.

I do not think the North of Scotland should change name, the reason it’s so prestigious is that it’s the longest running competition we have, I think in the region of 60-70 years old, maybe more, and had many a great player win it multiple times.  I would suggest the North of Scotland “Plate” would be more suitable to put Derek’s name to, and I think if he were still here he would be delighted as he was always one to encourage new players, and help established players to get better, and a Plate may the ideal way to honour the great man.

Mike Thomson

Well done to Paul and John in taking the comps on......

Here's my opinion......

In my opinion should be top 16 at venue as gives more people option to sample the "venue". Once upon a time the top 8 only entered the draw at the venue to give more people the chance to "qualify" for the venue, maybe worth considering?

Either way there is merit in not having seeds enter until later as up and coming players get a chance to maybe win a couple rounds and gain some ranking points as before, but I dont have a strong feeling either way on this (probably because would be best for non top 16 players to decide) - maybe as Mike suggests get input from Captains asap once they poll their players? Or as committee just do what you think best and see how it works?

I definately support handicaps playing a part of rankings as all players have an opportunity to move up the rankings based on performace all season not just the comps and some may not be available for all ranking comps.

I think a non top 16 tournament is a great idea and naming this after Derek would be fitting, particularly as he was a big supporter of up and coming players looking to improve.  I personally think this should be a stand alone tournament unless any top 16 player who does not make venue was exempt from being entered in a plate comp, as this would defeat the point.  Mike maybe already assumed this was the case but think it needs to be clarified. If this was the case then either a stand alone comp or plate would be a great idea.

I know its difficult to fit in all the tournaments and we are already looking to add a non top 16 comp but I would really like to see the Grampian Super League re-established as this was a great comp - maybe in a different format? maybe not?

Agree that players do not enter the comps for the winnings. However entry fees do help the association funds and maybe hand out less to invest in other areas would be good.

Derek Morrison

Hi guys

I am pleased to announce that we have managed to secure a new sponsor, David McAllister head of Panda Rosa Metals has confirmed he will contribute a trophy for a new open competition in memory of the late Derek Hearns. I think this is a fantastic gesture. Derek wife Denise has said she would present the winner with the trophy, which is brilliant. Hopefully the competition will run for many years and will be a lasting legacy for one of the best and most influential player Aberdeen has had.

John McCann