Forums

The Link below will direct you to the old website where you can look back at forum posts from previous years

http://aberdeensnooker.cmlwebdesign.com/index.php/test

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumALCBSA: Aberdeen SinglesCompetition set up
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Competition set up

Hi guys, this is not a dig at anyone who organises/ runs comps in anyway shape or form it's more of a potential suggestion for future regarding gaining more entries. I do think it can be a thankless task and am sure everyone will agree it's very much appreciated the effort that goes in.

I myself had to withdraw as did a few others due to losing out regarding work issues etc due to the fact that this is ran over 3-4 days/,nights its obviously not ideal for some but ideal for others that's fair enough, the reason for the post is to hopefully see a different approach regarding future comps possibly ran over say a sat/sun, this gets done the likes of the counties for example ran over 2 days and look at the success its had it's an amazing buzz about itΒ  simply because its packed and the format is short n sweet rather than being drawn out over a week, I understand players want the final stages to be a prestige event ie waistcoat malarkey but you can still achieve that having a two venue system playing last 64 sat the say semi finals final sun, entry numbers might go up because most working people get the weekend off rather than playing a game on a sun then back tue and so on just seems a tad stressful.

Just my humble opinion for looking ahead at future events and for players having to make trips from the likes of Dundee and Elgin etc.

Jamie

Thanks for taking the time to write your post

I do appreciate it πŸ˜‰

Trust me this is not a easy job to try do

John and I have tried to get more players getting as much enjoyment as possible with more players getting opportunities to play in the final stages

Yes we're down in entries but we almost get 1 in 3 to get to our venue which is not bad result

Playing a comp in the weekend could be a great idea but trust me there will be players that this won't suit either as we already have 1 player in this comp that has just pulled out saying to John (If I win I can't play this Sunday)

I've found out very quickly that whatever u do won't suit everybody

Players pulling out is a concern to us and there has been discussions already regarding this

I think changing 1 comp to a weekend is def on the cards as it would give the players in Elgin and Dundee a fair opportunity to play

For those that were at the meeting I put our thoughts to the floor before we got voted in with what our intentions were regarding the comps

I absolutely agree that it cant be easy as I said in my comments it can be a thankless job, I appreciate you looking in to a set up playing over a weekend like the counties and we have witnessed the success over the years regarding that particular competition, look I know that you cant please everyone that's an impossible task but playing in a final format to give players a feel for the big stage can be achieved in other ways or is that how everyone feels on the matter ie is that what they want, anyways I appreciate your replay and wish you success in future comps and good luck to yourself and the rest of the finalists! πŸ‘

Good to see people vocalising thoughts on this subject. I echo Jamie's words, a thankless task really running tournaments... It can't be easy and I was surprised 2 of our top players John and Paul stepped up to take this on. In my own opinion 16 at the venue isn't easy. Sadly in today's working world, buisnesses open around the clock which means some have to work nights etc. Unless people take the week off work or work a 9-5 job or whatever then this format will not suit, bearing in mind we have 4 events + extras now opposed to the old 2 we had in the Belmont Club days. I TOTALLY get what Paul and John are trying to do, get people to the venue but fortunately people get to experience Culter weekly in the league etc. The Belmont was different.....not everyone got the chance to play in the one table set up with new cloth in front of a healthy crowd so then it's different as people want to ('make the venue'), sample it if you like. Some used to take the two weeks off on holiday for the Interclubs and the North Of Scotland including the organisers. Sadly times have changed and sponsors have left and venues have closed so this now is not possible. Culter have been brilliant to all of us making a seating area etc at our new venue for all of our tournaments. I'm concerned at the dwindling numbers also, I don't know if any of the above has a bearing on this and I certainly hope its not the 'same faces winning' etc being the reason also!!? We have had a few who have made a final in the past to surprise people so it does happen. Nobody is unbeatable in this game, its impossible to win everything. Despite what people may think, I personally have everyone in Aberdeen Snooker at heart. I love to see people playing well and most importantly, enjoying there matches. I hope in time we get a solution for all. (or as close as possible). And full credit to those who take up there own personal time to run everything!!