Forums

The Link below will direct you to the old website where you can look back at forum posts from previous years

http://aberdeensnooker.cmlwebdesign.com/index.php/test

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumALCBSA: LeagueLeague format
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

League format

Page 1 of 2Next

Evening.

Something I’ve thought about for a while here, which after tonight i’m even more convinced we should do. (And we don’t know the result yet…)

Whatever the outcome tonight, this should absolutely happen every season.

More folk are in watching than any final for last 5 years.

Top 4 in league make playoffs :

1 at home to 4
2 at home to 3

Neutral final.

Bit of reasoning:

Winning the league isn’t what it was when it was scratch. It’s just a bit of fun on a Tuesday night now. So many vagaries over a season, one table clubs, loads of max handicap frames, players being away when play some matches, loads of players playing twice. You can’t absolutely say best team over season wins the league like in the past.

Then add in the excitement of last game week of season , top 4 playing to stay there and improve position for a home semi, teams in 5.6,7 even 8 etc playing to get in it playoffs. You’re still rewarded for winning the league yet it extends the season to an exciting conclusion.

What’s not to like 🙂

Something for discussion at AGM, the only argument I’ve heard against it is “well if you win the league you deserve it over the season”

I don’t buy that at all given all the things mentioned above that happen over a season. It’s a bit of fun let’s make it permanent.

Steven.

Nice idea Biggsy,

On another note,I think the rankings also need looked at,like u said a Tuesday is a bit of fun like all the reasons u mentioned above,so in my opinion how can this go towards a ranking system,ranking points should be based on man v man off a level playing field and points awarded accordingly,Mark Oaten won a ranking event this year and Jamie reached a final yet could still miss out of the top 8 rankings and a place in the A team for the counties,which in my opinion is wrong as it’s a great achievement to get there,obviously this is just my opinion and be interested to kno other peoples thoughts on this.

Well done to 22 club on winning last night and commiserations to Culter.

I agree Stevie, Tuesday League handicap should have absolutely nothing to do with the rankings for competitions, period (I ran the associations ranking for the best part of 30 years and wouldn't have considered it)

Just my opinion, and some might say “you’ve not played for 7 years” and you would be correct, but thanks to Dek Morrison I’m gonna start playing again as I head into retirement.  So, next season I will make myself available to Culter as a sub should they not have the 6 players on some of the Tuesday nights.  Therefore I think I’m entitled to an opinion 😊

One for the Committee to decide on at the AGM I would guess!

And I think the play-off idea is quite innovative too, worth considering.

Anything added to add a bit of excitement to the league can’t be a bad idea Steve but on the other hand it’s still a good feeling winning it with giving the starts that some players give week in week out though. 😉

Since you have started a discussion thread I’d like to add one of my biggest thoughts is now we have the handicap league and players playing players with getting some large starts off others on a Tuesday night but if they draw each other in a ranking competition other than the handicap they play off scratch.
I wonder if that is effecting the entries or enjoyment for all.

I personally would like to see a singles league where all players play off scratch and are getting competitive matches every match they play.
Groups of 8 or 10 best of 6 frames with promotion and relegation with possible play off matches too.

This can also be run on league republic with set time slots for each match to be played over a season.

Every match played will be competitive to all without 3-0 and 4-0 scores like in some earlier rounds with the poorer players getting drawn against our better players.

It’s something I’d personally like to play in.

Could be a great idea Steve. The league has probably gone a bit stale over the years, so this fresh idea could create something to really play for right to the end. Playing opportunities for all is evidently clear for all to see going on last night's atmosphere! I think it was the best night I've seen since playing in the league, so we need more of this with all getting involved. Great to see Inverurie boys for example, showing up to support.

Rankings: I agree, rankings shouldn't have league results counting towards them.

Handicaps: I really believe a player categorisation could be the answer going forward with handicapping. Category A, B, C, D, E......etc This would help remove 'dead' frames. There is alot of arguments for handicapping singles events too. With categories, we could implement this into the Derek Hearns (Derek wanted everyone involved, would have loved last night's playoff) and Aberdeen Singles perhaps? Would create new faces going deeper in events and perhaps boost entries. I do feel the North Of Scotland should remain scratch though as it's our most prestigious event over the years, however make it free for everyone to enter and make it bigger, and open for all. Always believed if you want to win, you need to improve but I do think we need to make it attractive to everyone of all standards too, so the handicap would help nudge people along and create a few surprise results along the way. We need everyone onboard with each other though, no bad blood etc to help grow our game within the city. Everyone's ideas and take the best bits. The guys who run everything do this in their own time and it's appreciated, but PLAYERS need to support them or sadly, inevitably, Aberdeen Snooker will die. Last night though, definitely showed there is life in the old dog yet!

I have raised this a couple of times at the AGM with players being in Categories/Bands with the levels to be agreed. this would then mean that if you are drawn with a player in your category/band you would play a scratch match. Apart from you Marc and John, everyone else is all with reason and could only name a few other than the aforementioned that are  regularly scoring with breaks on league nights

This would allow you still to have a handicap, in my opinion more reflective  of your ability. As if you are winning on scratch merit you are playing well and don't have the feeling that you can't make a mistake (same yes, as a scratch game but not if they have a lead by tenfold from handicap)

This would just leave the categories/ bands to be decided by committee/ players ? at AGM

On a whole I think the league is fine with the handicaps the way they r after the adjustment and cap put in place,this has been proven over the last few years, as the league has been closest and competitive as it has ever been,but the prob is using the handicap to to go towards your ranking,u can’t base a ranking system when guys r giving away differential starts every Tuesday it just doesnt work,here’s an example,if Marc and John didn’t enter any singles comps next year and I won every ranking singles event(I kno before anyone says,that’s not going to happen)they would still be No 1 and No 2 in the rankings because there handicap in the league is so low,to me that makes a mockery of the whole thing,sorry but that’s just the way I c it,different people will have different views and opinions,and it’s a tough task to keep everyone happy,but surely it has to be a level playing field for everyone.

Quote from Stevie on April 11, 2024, 10:59 am

On a whole I think the league is fine with the handicaps the way they r after the adjustment and cap put in place,this has been proven over the last few years, as the league has been closest and competitive as it has ever been,but the prob is using the handicap to to go towards your ranking,u can’t base a ranking system when guys r giving away differential starts every Tuesday it just doesnt work,here’s an example,if Marc and John didn’t enter any singles comps next year and I won every ranking singles event(I kno before anyone says,that’s not going to happen)they would still be No 1 and No 2 in the rankings because there handicap in the league is so low,to me that makes a mockery of the whole thing,sorry but that’s just the way I c it,different people will have different views and opinions,and it’s a tough task to keep everyone happy,but surely it has to be a level playing field for everyone.

Stevie,

Your maths needs to improve… 😂 max handicap is 60. If you won every ranking event and add your handicap you would be no.1. Before the max handicap was set last year you would have been correct.
Playing the devils advocate here but handicaps reflect and reward consistent play all season rather than for a comp. Recently people have reached quarters and semis without playing a match due to withdrawals etc.

The counties selection uses rankings which currently include handicaps and everyone knows where they stand for counties selection and it’s not based on personal selection which is difficult to justify if you leaving a higher ranked person out in preference for someone else. This is how selection will be this season but next season this can be changed if that is what the majority want.

We get way too many personal opinions on threads like these and they get lost cos they are not posted on the AGM thread.

However it’s not up to me or the committee it’s up to the players how we run the rankings going forward and will be discussed at AGM.

I will be starting a thread for AGM suggestion in the next day or so.

Derek

10 points for 3 events

15 for North =45 plus my  handicap-16 =61

Ok give u that one,I’m 1 point out,that’s why I’m just a painter.🤣🤣🤣

Monsoon111 has reacted to this post.
Monsoon111

Marc is -58 so 3 points lol 😂

Page 1 of 2Next